Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Arctic Monkeys at The 40 Watt Club

http://www.myspace.com/arcticmonkeys

There are few bands that I truly love as much as Arctic Monkeys. To me they are consistently good, put on an outstanding live show, and write songs that leave a mark. They never try to be big, bad rock stars. They are just a group of guys who love music. In the current times, that is definitely to be respected. But, more to the point...I got to see them in concert for the third time. :D



The 40 Watt is located in Athens, GA which hosts the biggest university in the state- UGA. It is the quintessential "college town" in both the looks and atmosphere. The 40 Watt has witnessed the performances of great musical acts such as R.E.M and The B-52's and holds an important spot in the history of Athens and its' music scene. To me, it was a perfect size allowing for a more personal show than a bigger venue in Atlanta would've allowed.

My group of friends and I arrived at the watt at about 7 and there was already a line. The band's buses were lined up beside the building and you could hear the last bit of sound check. While we were waiting two girls started squealing, left their spot in line and ran behind the buses making their way to the back door. Alex Turner apparently was the lure. He ducked out pretty quick, obviously not relishing in the attention, preferring to keep to the stairs and his cigarette. It's like I said, they have no desire to be big-shot rock stars. In fact, it's very clear that they just want to play their music without the pressure of fame.

When the doors opened me and mine made our way to the front of the stage, opting not to stop for t-shirts or beverages of any sort. We have all been Arctic Monkey fans for a while and didn't want to miss our chance to get the best "seats" or rather "stands" since no sitting was involved. We stood there for about an hour, laughing at the mix of crowd that had come together and enjoyed the moment. Finally around 9 o' clock Sleepy Sun, the opening act, fell from the sky and onto the stage. Or at least that's how it felt.

I like psychedelic music and I do believe that Sleepy Sun was talented but it was hard to get into them after waiting so long for the Monkeys. There were definitely some unique aspects to their performance. There was this plant they seemed fixated on and dancing was mildly interpretive. We were even let in on a clapping game that some members of the audience deemed too difficult. Certain concert-goers were caught up in the moment and the smell of skunk pot wafted in the air. Sleepy sun ended with a cymbal and a recorder solo. And then the night descended...Okay, I'll drop the corny sun metaphors.

After a long set change and of course a fog machine intro, the monkeys finally made their way to the stage...



I had the best spot ever and boy did I have to fight for it. I was right below Alex and had a good view of Jamie, Matt, and Nick. I actually heard these guys behind me say amongst themselves that my spot was the spot to have. I braced myself for attack when A.M. started playing. The crowd started moving instantly, fairly harmless but very pushy group of people. Luckily, I have hips and can hold my ground. My friend Richard definitely helped and I was in front of some fairly respectful guys.

The set list was a nice combination of all of their albums. Some people in the crowd were screaming to play their favorites, but when you have so many good songs it's understandable that you have to pick and choose. At least four people crowd surfed and made it on stage only to be dragged away by security. One guy put his hands up victoriously and even got a laugh out of Alex and Jamie. At one point the mic stand fell over and the guy behind me grab the mic and screamed, "Arctic Monkeys, Arctic Monkeys, motherf**king, Arctic Monkeys!" When the mic was returned to Alex, he had a smile on his face and repeated the chant, obviously getting a kick out of it, as did the rest of the band.



The crowd went insane to old favorites, "I Bet That You Look Good on the Dance Floor" and "The View from the Afternoon." "Brianstorm" was also particularly rousing. "Crying Lightning" from the viewpoint of the crowd felt like we were plopped into the music video, the crowd being the ocean, the stage was the band's boat and of course the crowd surfers were the giant versions of the band. At one point the audience got so wild even Alex remarked that it was time for a breather, opting to skip the more energetic songs like "Dangerous Animals." Which is a shame because it would've fit the theme.

They played some of the greats from "Humbug", of course. "Secret Door" resonated especially well live and as I sang "Fools on parade conduct a sing-a-long," I couldn't help but sing it passionately to the guys behind me that arrived late, but were determined to make it to the front. The same guys decided to go a bit old school and whip out their lighters for the slower songs. It made me wish I had been able to get a picture but my hands were too busy securing my spot.



After a set that seemed to fly by, the monkeys made their exit. Immediately the crowd roared "Monkeys, Monkeys!" and the guys came back for an encore that included "Fluorescent Adolescent" and "505". "505" left me in a very zen-like state but still hungry for more. One by one the monkeys left the stage, throwing picks as they went. And it was over...

There are hardly words worthy enough for describing A.M. live. Each song is undeniably bursting with energy. Alex makes every word count, every syllable has a life of its own. Nick is very calm, almost as though he is listening for his bass to communicate with him rather than forcing it. Jamie remains in a zone of what I assume to be his guitar haven, playing every part with heart (no rhyme intended). And Matt most definitely acts as a lightning rod of energy, allowing for the band to maintain the focus and energy. Whether they intend to or not, they have stage presence and they let the music speak for itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment