Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Marc Blackwell

If you were to buy a motorcycle and ride around on it, fully clad in leather, Marc Blackwell might start playing in the background. His song "Gotta Stay" is the kind of song that you could conquer a challenge and kick butt to. It's the kind of music that makes you want to put on a pair of black boots and kick up some dirt. Okay, you get the visual...




Though he masters bad-ass with ease, there is more than one side Marc Blackwell's music. "That's How I Remember You" shows his contemplative side. "One More Day" is optimistic nostalgia rockin' out at its best. "Love For Free" rings out as sweet and happy. But the common thread in all of his music is most definitely the sincerity of his delivery. You don't doubt that he means what he says and says what he means. He pulls it all off in a form that is catchy and makes you want to get your groove on. Alternative radios, perk your ears please and tune into Marc Blackwell!

Who/What inspired you to pursue music?
Music has always been a huge part of my life since I was young. I have to credit a childhood friend that really gave me the bug, he had a guitar and amp with a distortion pedal, he convinced me to get a bass guitar, so I begged my parents for one. Once I had it, I was thinking hey, this isn't as fun as the guitar so I had to make my parents return it and get me a Les Paul copy! Although guitar was my instrument of choice in the beginning, I ended up playing bass guitar in a touring band for about 15 years!

How do you usually write your songs?
Lately, I've been working with some co-writers that write lyrics only, they send me their lyrics and I write music to them, it usually works out but once in a while it doesn't.

What is the first artist you remember loving as a child?
The first band that I remember absolutely loving was Motley Crue (Shout at the Devil), they were just so evil and bad ass, they were very cool!

If you could collaborate with one musician, dead or alive, who would it be?
Oh there are so many, it's hard to pick just one! I grew up in Bloomington, IN. Home of John Mellencamp, I'd do some songs with him.

What is your dream venue to play?
Hum, I guess I've never had a dream venue, but my favorite gigs are the Chicago street festivals!

If you could experience another decade of music first hand, which would it be?
I'd like to experience the 70's first hand, that would be pretty cool!

If a movie is ever made about your life, who would play you?
Mark Wahlberg for sure.

If you could pick a gemstone to symbolize you and your music what would it be?
How about a diamond? Cause I'm just a diamond in the rough... lame!

Is there anything that I haven't asked that you'd like to say?
I've never been a fan of these questionnaires, hope I didn't bore you too much!



Click HERE to listen Marc's band called Black Swagger and vote for them by downloading a free track!

No comments:

Post a Comment